Counselors need to find out what courses are appropriate for your present skill level. In other words, they need to know your abilities in writing, reading and math.
Placement testing is required of all students unless you have already completed course work in English and/or mathematics. Placement testing helps to ensure your success. The test results are immediate, accurate, and fair.
The test for reading, writing and math is given Mondays-Thursdays at 9:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.
An appointment is required for the placement test. Please call 434-949-1067 to schedule.
Preparing for the Test
Reading & Writing:
Visit the COMPASS web site for quick overview of the COMPASS features and sample questions for reading and writing.
Beginning in late fall 2011, the Virginia Community College System instituted a new developmental math program. For students who need to take the math placement test, taking the practice tests first will be of great benefit. If you are unsure as to taking just practice test 1 or both practices tests, please check with a counselor. Please see below for a choice of three different VPT (math) formats for practicing. Also see two recommended websites for more practice with math!
- Virginia Math Practice Test: (Word Format ) (PDF Format)
- Virginia Math Practice Test: (Online Version) (Instructions Below)
• From the dropdown menu “Institution,” select “VCCS Practice Test Institution.”
• Under “Site,” select “VCCS Practice Test.”
• The Site password is “Virginia pt”.
• Continue filling in the form. Note the items marked * must be completed.
• In the right column, you MUST enter your student ID number preceded by svcc. And you must use your personal E-mail address. (When you take the ACTUAL test, you will not use the “svcc” before your student ID and you will use your SVCC E-mail address)
Here are some online resources for reviewing mathmatics skills.
In addition, there are other resources in the "Tutorials" section of the Library website.
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding the Tests
Q. What if I fail the test?
A. You cannot fail. Your test results simply tell us what courses you will need to succeed.
Q. Are the scores part of my permanent record?
A. Yes. They are entered so that your counselor and advisor can use them for registration purposes.
Q. How long is the Placement Test?
A. It varies. On average it takes approximately two to three hous to complete the test.
Q. Do I have to pay a fee to take the Placement Test?
A. No, there is no cost to you for taking the test.
Q. Why must I take the test?
A. It helps you to go into the courses that are right for you.