With the goal of being known as "America's Most Veteran-Friendly State," Virginia provides many unique state benefits to supplement and expand on federal benefits for military families. These benefits are available to you at Southside Virginia Community College.
The Financial Aid office provides information and applications for VA educational benefits to veterans, reservists, and eligible dependents. The office certifies students with confirmed VA eligibility who notify us of their registration for classes at SVCC.
We encourage veterans to contact SVCC's Veterans Affairs Coordinator or the SVCC Admissions Office.
The links below may provide additional informantion about military benefits:
In addition, these website may also provide helpful information:
Need more information? Contact SVCC's Veterans Affairs Coordinator:
- Phone: 434-736-2377 or 434-949-1000 ext 2377
- Email: Patricia.Mahaney@southside.edu
- Office of Veterans Affairs, SVCC, 109 Campus Drive, Alberta, VA
- Available Monday through Friday 8:15am to 2:15pm.
Tuition Refunds – Military Students
According to VCCS policy 184.108.40.206 (a), should a student be ordered to active duty (for reservists) or be mobilized (active military) as described in the Code of Virginia, Section 23-9.6:2, and he/she requests to be withdrawn from the college after the census date, the student may elect either to be deleted from the registration file and be awarded a full refund or to be administratively withdrawn with no refund and assigned a grade of "W". The college shall provide, at the option of the student, for such refunds to be retained and to be applicable to tuition and fees charged in the semester or term in which the student returns to study.
Military students requesting to be deleted from file or administratively withdrawn after the final drop date must contact the Admissions and Records Office (A & R) for the proper procedures and paperwork that must be submitted. The tuition refund/debt removal request process is outlined below.
Military students wishing to be deleted or administratively withdrawn after the final refund date must complete the delete/withdrawal process.
- The military student goes to the A&R Office or nearest SVCC location to complete the add/drop form indicating preference for delete or withdrawal, and provides a copy of military orders requiring the change in enrollment.
- Military students with financial aid will be required to communicate with a financial aid representative to discuss implications. Military students with veteran’s benefits will be required to communicate with the Veterans Affairs representative to discuss implications. The financial aid representative and Veteran’s Affairs representative will initial the add/drop form to verify that those funds were not used for tuition payment.
The A & R office verifies that appropriate documentation and signatures are in place before processing the delete or withdrawal. If a refund is involved, the documentation will be sent to the business office for processing.